Tuesday 18 January 2011

Trip to WDW - Day 7, 8, 9 Celebration Hospital - Tue 14th-Thu 16th Dec 2010

So to recap, I am in Celebration hospital with Diverticulitis and have been taken off all food and only being feed intravenously.

So after a fitful nights sleep, as i kept bending my right arm, where the drip needle is which seems to cause the needle to bend and cut off the supply which set of an alarm on the pump. I am awoken at 5am cause that when they need to take blood work and take my pulse, blood pressure and temperature.

We lie for a bit trying to get back to sleep, but give up around 6am and turn on the TV. At some point that morning a tray of food is delivered and as I am starting to feel better i perk up , but decide to query it and the woman pops out and come back a few minutes later and says oh yes I am nil by mouth so takes the food away.

Celia heads off to shower and have breakfast back at the Staybridge and we discuss what we should bring to to the hospital. Some toiletries, some clean underwear, my Pin collection and the laptop are asked for.

And so begins the long days of the holiday, I do get to catalogue all the new pins I had bought and file them into the folders. I am also able to get online via free Wifi in the hospital so can communicate via Facebook with some friends to let them know whats going on.

During the 1st morning a team turn up to put in a Central Line, which is a major needle from my right arm to my heart where they can pump more bags of fluids into me and take blood samples without having to put any other needles in my arms.

We have another chat with the Surgeon and ask about how long I will be here, we seems to think there is a chance that we will get out by the end of the week, but wants to get another CT scan on Wednesday to see how it is progressing.

We realise that we are not going to get to Mickey's Christmas party that night so phone Disney, but as the final two nights (Sun 19th & Fri 17th) are sold out and we are confident that we will be able to make the Thursday 16th we decide to cut our losses and take the refund on the tickets.

At 8pm I finally get my liquid drip food, which is a strange yellow colour but also has a very white bag of fats as a supplementary feed.

With the central line I can get some more sleep as I can bend my arm during the night without cutting the line, but I am still monitored so although we go to sleep around 10pm, at midnight tonight's tech comes in to measure the blood pressure, pulse and temp. so another short night of sleep.

Wednesday is about the same, but with the added fun of a trip to the CT Scan Castle and the chat with the Surgeon again that did give us some hope, as it seems like i was reacting well to the drugs and surgery seemed very unlikely now, and it was no hoped to put me on a clear liquid diet from tomorrow, then a soft diet and then hopefully release.

Thursday I start to get some food, and get increasing irritated with American daytime TV, which if you think that UK is bad, its nothing compared to US. We did at one evening manage to watch Charlie brown christmas followed by the new Prep and Landing short which were fun, and also saw the 1st episode of the new series of CSI.

The Chat with the Surgeon on Thursday evening, gave us the news we had been waiting for, that I could have the Central line taken out and Surgery had no reason to keep me in and I should be discharged on Friday but the actual decision would be with the MD that had admitted me. We then found out that this other doctor that had been poping by was that doctor so would need his agreement to leave.

So we made a new plan to try and get as much as we could done during the up coming weekend to see if we could salvage the holiday.

We were able to move our Biergarten ADR from Thursday to Sunday, and although we could not get an ADR for Kona (as we missed our Tuesday lunch) we did get one for the Wave so decided to try that on the Monday evening.

We planned to go to Hollywood Studios on the Saturday evening and arranged with Dad & Shelley to join us, we also had friends flying in from DC on Saturday so we would go to the studios in the morning to go on Toy Story but then meet them and go to Downtown Disney for the afternoon. Sunday would stay an Epcot day. On the Monday, the Magic Kingdom switches to its Christmas schedule so we could see the parade and shows we missed from the party if we went there. So we had a plan and just 1 more night in the hospital. or so we hoped

No comments:

Post a Comment